Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sabbath Musings

Bob and I were invited to spend a few days in Palm Desert with Gayle and Bill and the kids. We left Wednesday when Bob came home from work, arrived early Thursday morning, and spent two heavenly days in the sunshine and warm with five of the people we love most dearly in the world. Didn't do anything earth-shattering, but rather just relaxed while the kids played in the pool. Yesterday morning after briefly visiting the weekly street fair at College of the Desert, we got in our car, and they in theirs, and headed back this direction.

I had planned to be away thru Sunday evening at least, so I had let our Primary President, Sister Ashton, know I wouldn't be at church today. Bob and I planned to stop overnight in St. George and visit Snow Canyon this morning before heading back to Provo. But when we got there last night, I looked at him, and he looked at me, we shrugged our shoulders and decided to come all the way home last night.

This morning when we awoke to more fluffy white stuff on the ground, I admit my first thought was "they don't even know I'm home and I really don't want to go out in this. I could just stay home." Well, no I couldn't. I really wanted to. Really. But I found that I really wanted to go to church more than I wanted to stay home. And that was a very good feeling.

I received several immediate blessings from that decision. The first was the privilege of partaking of the Sacrament. The week always goes better. I think this week will be the same. Secondly, Brother Sorensen's talk on kindness gave me much to think about. By profession he is a psychologist, and besides the scriptural references he used (1 Corinthians 13:1-13, which is one of my very favorite passages of scripture, probably because I really need to work on it in my life), he also shared a few experiences that he has had over the years where kindness has made a difference for someone. I wish I could remember all that he said and had the time and energy to repeat all that I can remember. But I will not take the time now. But he showed by these examples that "charity never faileth" (1 Cor. 13:8) Being kind changes us, whether we are on the giving or receiving end of the act(s) of kindness.

Another of the blessings I received was to witness one of these tiny acts of kindness when I walked into the Primary room. Our dear Sister Baker, the sister who comes into Primary each week to present our birthday children, also has a birthday this week. One of the children who was to be recognized today for her own birthday came to the back of the room where Sister Baker was standing before Primary began, and quietly slipped into her hand a decorative cellophane bag containing cookies or some other goodies to her with a hug and a "Happy Birthday, Sister Baker." What a sweet, thoughtful thing for this 9 year old girl to do.

Sister Seifert is our chorister and music leader. Today she dressed as a grandma, shawl draped over her hunched shoulders and a white cottonball wig covered her own youthful dark hair. She sat in a rocking chair with her knitting and proceded to tell the children the Plan of Salvation through music. A song the children have been learning is "I Lived in Heaven" Sis. Seifert, in her own inimitable way, played the part of a story-telling-Granny and taught the children Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness through this song. The children were completely engaged, and to tell you the truth, so was I. What a blessing it is to know that Heavenly Father has a plan for us, as His children, and that because of the Saviour, we can return to live with Him again, with our families. What a blessing it is that our children are being taught not just in church, but also and more importantly, in their homes.

This evening we went to Gayle and Bill's to celebrate Carter's birthday. Another of the countless blessings I am grateful for are my thoughtful and kind daughter and son-in-law and my three precious grandchildren. I can't imagine my life without them.

I'm grateful for the Sabbath, and this has been a particularly sweet day for me. I hope it has been for you, too.

2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

It was a good day for me too but how can we kindly let "that woman" know I want to sit by you so I can give you meaningful glances, write you a criptic note or just sit with friendship next to you? She did NOT WANT TO SLIDE OVER. What did she say to you when I asked her to?

Annette said...

I felt very blessed to have you there and felt joy when I saw you. Thank you for your loving diligent service to us and to the children. You always notice the sweet things they do that I often miss. I also spent quite a bit of time looking at the giant crayons this week. What have you created!!!