Sunday, January 18, 2009

Color Me White



A few weeks ago, our ward moved into a new building temporarily while our building is being updated to earthquake standards. The new building we’re meeting in, sharing with two other wards, is a substantially newer building, much more modern.

Knowing this chapel is much smaller than ours, and not wanting to sit in the overflow section, I went to church early and claimed a seat near the back of the chapel. I looked around. One of the first things I noticed, other than the general newness of the building, were these lights.

Crayons. They look like huge white crayons hung from the ceiling. How appropriate. We come to Sacrament Meeting to be cleansed from our shortcomings, mistakes and sins of the previous week, as we partake of the emblems of the Lord’s Supper, repent and covenant to take upon ourselves His name, to keep His commandments, and to always remember Him.

The blood of our Savior "colors us white". I am grateful.


.

3 comments:

Annette said...

I love the symbolism and concur that they do look like big white crayons. I don't know if I would ever have looked up at them, but I certainly will now. I wonder if we will still have the "space ship" in our old chapel once it's remodeled?

I'm so grateful for you in Primary!

Pam's Place said...

The "spaceship" didn't come quickly to mind, but as I think about it, you must be referring to the stuff that hangs overhead on the stand. Is that right? It really does look like a spaceship.
As in "Beam me up, Scotty."

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

First of all PLEASE add a "follower" feature to your blog so I will know when you have blogged.

Second, I second your idea of the crayon-lights. Very appropriate. I feel so good on Sunday and if I have to stay home because I am sick I feel awful--not sick awful, but sick inside. Maybe it's the un-cleaness of not partaking of the sacrament.