Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A new year.

You can see how far behind I am. It's already January 7 and I'm just mentioning the new year. If you haven't read this blog before, you probably haven't noticed that I have two previous posts that are a year overdue "to be continued" but haven't been. But I'm pressing on.

I'm not making "New Year's Resolutions" this year. I'm still working on the ones from last year, the year before that, the year before that, and probably a few that go back even further. If you haven't experienced this phenomenon, I find that each year I am making pretty much the same resolutions. So it doesn't matter which year's resolutions I'm working on, just that I'm doing it.

Yesterday morning, I called my daughter as she was getting her kids off to school. I talked with K., my 8 year old granddaughter for just a few minutes.

"Grandma, did you write in your journal last night?"

"No I didn't. Why do you ask?"

"Don't you remember our promise?"

Yikes! I hate breaking promises, and it seems my Forgetter was getting me into trouble again.

"Ooooo, I think you're going to have to remind me, honey."

"We're going to write in our journals every day this year."

"Oh, yes we are! Now I remember."

"I wrote in mine last night, Grandma."

"What did you write about?"

"Oh, just stuff."


Well, of course. Stuff. That's what I write about in my journal, and I'm not very anxious to share that either. I'm so thrilled that she remembered, that she reminded me about our pact, and most importantly, I am really thrilled that at the age of almost 9 she is starting to form an important habit.

I'm already 6 days behind this year, but thanks to K., I wrote in my journal yesterday. And I will tonight before I go to bed, and tomorrow, and the next day and the next. And every day this year. Because I promised. And because I want to.

I hope you do too. It's important. But you won't understand why until you do it for awhile. I think the same is true for making and keeping resolutions. I'll have to do that awhile to be able to report on it. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Annette said...

I'm glad I finally found your blog. I don't know what would have been more more harrowing to me, Primary this last weekend or your drive with Lynn on Monday!

You write so beautifully, just as you live. Thanks for your friendship.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You are going to write EVERY day? Oh me--I'm holding my head in my hands. I can't even get my scriptures read everyday. You are a better girl than I.

And I have to write in the journal for a while before I understand why it's improtant? I may never know.

Kathie said...

I can't remember my password.

Kathie said...

But I guess I have a new one. I'm glad to see you in here again, Pam.