Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More on Unmade Resolutions

Remember how I said I wasn't going to make any resolutions this year? Well, I didn't, but all of a sudden I find myself keeping some of the ones I would have made if I were going to make them.

I think it has to do with commitment. Some people don't make commitments very easily. Maybe they're afraid of the weight of what they are committing to, or maybe they just like to take each day individually and do what they feel like doing. Unfortunately, sometimes we just don't feel like doing the things we should. That's where commitments come in handy. They lift us over the "don't wanna do that" to sliding through doing what needs to be done without hardly thinking about it. "Just do it," as President Spencer W. Kimball used to say.

I'm a little hesitant about some commitments -- the smaller less important ones. What if I forget to do something I say I'll do? What if I disappoint someone? What if I say I'll do something and then when the time comes to do it, I really don't want to? Or sometimes I'll agree to something, and then almost immediately, want to bite my tongue in regret.

So when it came to the "little things" called "resolutions" this year, I didn't write them down, and haven't spoken them out loud to myself or to anyone. But in secret I must have shared my ongoing shortcomings, spoken only in spirit, with my Heavenly Father, because I find that I'm doing better in the areas I was concerned about. He answers even the unspoken prayers. I am grateful.

2 comments:

Annette said...

I love your thoughts so beautifully spoken. I love that through the yearnings of our hearts we are blessed.

And as for Bob, I've always thought he was such a nice man, but know I know it!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I'm glad you are doing better in your secret shortcomings. Do you think you could give your friend a dose of that commitment? Or should I just be pushed off the cliff?