Saturday, December 22, 2007

All Hearts Go Home for Christmas


“All hearts go home for Christmas, for love is always there”


The year that my husband, Bob, joined the Army, our four year old daughter, Gayle, and I joined him at Fort Hood, Texas, shortly after he finished training in November. Ohio had always been home, and I had had no desire to leave. The recession of 1974 had forced Bob out of work, and after almost two years without a job, Bob was glad for the opportunities the Army offered.

We had sold most of our furniture and stored our belongings in our home in Toledo, which was rented to friends. My sister, Kathie, drove with Gayle and me to our new home, a small furnished apartment in the booming military metropolis of Killeen in central Texas. A day or two later when I watched her plane leave from Austin airport, I felt very much alone. Thanksgiving, a holiday which we had celebrated exactly the same every year for as long as I could remember, was three short weeks away. Facing the holidays in a new place without our extended families and no friends was a bleak thought indeed.

Fortunately, Bob did not share my dampened spirit about this new life of ours. His enthusiasm and Gayle’s natural cheerfulness were my lifeline those first months away. We made the best of Thanksgiving. We ate at the Holiday Inn. It certainly wasn’t Aunty Mary’s perennial feast, and having three at the table instead of our usual 10 or 12 was a change, but we had deliberately chosen to make it as different as possible so there would be no comparison.

As Christmas approached, we decided to make the best of that as well. A tiny tree decorated with homemade ornaments stood in one corner of our living room. We purchased a few small gifts for Gayle -- we didn’t have much to spend. It wasn’t so much that we wouldn’t have the usual pile of presents under the tree that bothered me, but that we would be away from “home”.

Bob was a medical lab technician and worked in the blood bank at the post hospital. Just three days before Christmas, he came home with the wonderful news that the chief had arranged work schedules so that everyone in their section would have either Christmas or New Year’s off, and a few extra days besides. Bob was fortunate to have been given Christmas, beginning at 4 PM on the 23rd. It takes 24 hours of driving, including minimal time for fueling, eating, and rest stops. The drive wouldn’t be a problem. Bob has always been an endurance driver. I would help out when he got tired. We could do it…weather permitting. We would do it! We packed the back of our station wagon, tucking Gayle into a sleeping bag between suitcases, and left Killeen just 24 hours before the Christmas festivities would start at my sister’s home in Ohio. We told Kathie we were coming, but she decided not to tell the rest of the family. It would be a surprise. The excitement was delicious.

But perhaps the most memorable part of that Christmas happened very quietly and unexpectedly in the middle of the night somewhere in Arkansas or Missouri. Have you ever had a moment in your life that was etched permanently into your soul? Gayle was asleep in the back of the car, and Bob dozed in the passenger seat as I drove. The night was cold and black, but thousands of stars were twinkling in the heavens. Christmas hymns were playing on the radio. I thought about Christmas -- about what we are really celebrating: the birth of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. For the first time in my life, I pondered the meaning of Christmas. An indescribable peace settled over me. I will never forget that feeling.

Joyful tears and hugs were plentiful as Bob, Gayle and I surprised our family at 6:00 on Christmas Eve. Since that Christmas years ago, we have spent many away from Toledo, but we have learned that home is where we are. And our family is whoever is with us. The best part of Christmas for me is the part I found that night -- the peace that comes from knowing.

* * * * * * *

I'm so grateful for the Savior, for his life and for his sacrifice that makes it possible for each of us to repent and to return to our Heavenly Father. Wishing you, your family, and all of those you love a joyful and blessed Christmas and a healthy and happy 2008.

Pam

13 comments:

Kathie said...

What a wonderful, special Christmas that was! Dad and I remembered it today on the phone long before I even read your blog.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I could picture you, driving through the starlit night, listening to Christmas music and having that wonderful peace settle. That experience has helped make you who you are and I am grateful for who you are and that you are my friend.

Thank you for sharing this tender memory. It helps me stop the madness and remember the real reason for Christmas.

Cindy Price said...

That was beautiful, thanks for sharing Pam.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Hey, when did you change the look of your blog? Or did it change all by it's self?

I wanted to get down tonight with something I have put together for you but it's now a quarter to midnight and I've just finished wrapping. I put the turkey in, frozen. I hope it's not done too early like in years past.

Merry Christmas, my friend. Thanks for the year full of your caring, laughter, fun escapades, J-Dawgs--or in the pursuit of--and good companionship.

You are so valuable to me and so loved.

Lynne

PS I heard a general authority, I can't remember who it was, who came out of a library, looked up at the starlit sky and had the same experience as you on that memorable drive home. You are in good company!

Jubilee on Earth said...

How great was that story? I loved reading it. Thanks for sharing. Here's wishing you and your family a healthy, happy, blessed 2008.

~Maria
www.jubileeonearth.cm

Heidi said...

How beautiful, thank you, Pam! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story!!!

Anonymous said...

Chatty Cathy I'm not...I'm glad you don't mind. They do look a bit like palm trees don't they? Palm trees at -15F.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

That was lovely. How well I remember "losing" you to the Army when I needed you so much because of our friendship. Hard to believe we had only know each other 2 yrs then! And we have managed to remain friends all of these years apart! Thank you! Becky

love.boxes said...

What a beautiful story and you have written it so well.

Thanks for your kind comments. :) Tiffany

Aprilyn said...

That is so neat. Thanks for sharing that. What year did you leave Toledo? I don't know what year we moved there but I was born in 1974 in Toledo. I could probably even find out where we live if you want.
As soon as I figure out what's going to happen with this ankle of mine, I'd like to meet you and Lynne for hot dogs! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,

I just wanted to check in and make sure everything's okay because you haven't posted for a while.

I hope everything's going well for you and I hope to hear from you soon! :)

Take care,
Heidi

Mom of 3 boys said...

This is such a wonderful story, thanks for sharing..I really love the pictures of nature that you have on your site...just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy ready your blog.