Saturday, January 19, 2008

He Knows the End From the Beginning


In the midst of a trial, great or small, have you wondered where your Heavenly Father was and why he wasn’t hearing or answering your prayers? I’m ashamed to admit that I have. But this morning, for no particular reason, my mind went back to some incidents that happened in my life that remind me that He is always there and He always answers our prayers, spoken or only felt, in the best possible way.

In 1976 I was not a happy person. Bob had been out of work for a year and a half, I was working part time. He stayed at home with four-year-old Gayle. We were members of a neighborhood Catholic parish which we did not attend with any frequency. My life, at least, was not in order, and although I knew that, I didn‘t have any idea how to change it. I was struggling personally as well as with the circumstances in our lives.

After having looked for a job for a length of time, Bob started thinking that his best option would be to join the Army. Not only would he have a job, but they would give him special training in the field of his choice. He had served his obligation in the National Guard for six years in the late ‘60’s and early 70’s, and at the end of that time had sworn that he would never stand in line again. I took that to mean that he was definitely done with military service. When he announced to me, pretty much out of the blue, that he was thinking about joining the Army, I was horrified. I knew what that would entail: we would have to leave our home, our home town, all of our friends, and our family, and we would become -- gasp -- Gypsies!! I protested long and loudly. I refused. I probably even stomped my feet and cried. And I must have prayed that this foolish ideal would evaporate.

Looking back, I see now that Heavenly Father knew my needs so much better than I. He was moving me in a direction to end my struggling and help me make my life right, to put it in harmony with the best that He has for me. I didn’t know that at the time, of course, so when Bob came home from enlisting, I cried. He was committed for four years. When he showed me on a map where we would be living in Texas, I ripped the page from the atlas into many pieces and told him of all the places I might want to live, that is, if I ever even considered leaving Toledo, Texas was the last place I would choose. He was unfazed. He calmly but firmly told me that he had joined the Army and that he was going. I could stay or I could go. That was that.

We had been married almost ten years. I hadn’t come that far through the challenges of early married life, to give up yet. I swallowed my pride, and began doing all that needed to be done to move our little family to Texas and to adjust to a whole new life ahead. I told Bob I was with him for four years, but no more, and after that if he chose to stay in the Army, he would be doing it alone. I still wasn’t happy, but I was going. I didn't know it at the time, but I was taking the first step toward putting my will in line with Heavenly Father’s.

to be continued

8 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This is be autifully written. I want you to teach me how to write like this. Thank you for this glimpse into your life. I can't wait for chapter II

Aprilyn said...

Oh, so you weren't LDS when you lived in Toledo. That is probably why you didn't know my family. We left in I think it was 1976. I understand how it feels to move away from "home". I lived in Naperville, Illinois for nearly 15 years and had no intention of ever leaving. Then my Dad came home one day and said "I quit my job. We're moving to Utah." That was a HUGE shock. I did find wonderful friends in Utah but I really still miss my wonderful friends in Naperville.

Cindy Price said...

When we were married my husband was three years into a six year commitment with the Navy. I know Military life can be hard, but it did have it's benefits. He wouldn't have the great job he does now without benefit of the training he received.

It is great that your put your trust in Heavenly Father. Isn't it amazing how He knows what we need and it's sometimes the opposite of what we think we need.

I look forward to chapter two!!

Mom of 3 boys said...

It is almost like you are talking about my life in away..moving,being out of work, prayers not being answered...etc....WOW....I can't wait to read more...maybe I can find a light at the end of my tunnel of life....Thanks so much for your sharing.

Is it okay if I add you to my friends lists??

The Griper said...

he smiles. yes, God has one thing we do not have, the power of foresight. we can only have hindsight.

tis another reason that Faith and Hope are so important in our lives.

and yes we leave a big part of ourselves behind but we also have much to look foreward to if we focus on what will be as opposed to what was. we cannot lose what we have, we can only add to it in times such as these.

talitha said...

I can't wait to here the rest of the story.

As a former military wife, I have lots of empathy for what you went through.

Anonymous said...

Oh Pam! How well I remember that time! You so didn't want to pull up your roots and move. I know that you are happy now that you did and I am sure you would never take back those years and do them differently!

BF Admin said...

I stumbled upon your "peach fuzz" post and enjoyed your other posts. I, too, moved from the midwest (Indiana) with dh in 1980, also to Texas. We're still here in the Lone Star State.
I hope you decide to post again. Looks like it has been awhile. We other peri-menopausal women need you!