Friday, December 21, 2007

Winter Solstice

According to Wikipedia, "the winter solstice occurs at the instant when the sun's position in the sky is at its greatest angular distance on the other side of the equitorial plane as the observer". Evidently, it was/is a pagan "holiday" or time of festivals, rituals and celebrations. I've just always known it as the shortest day of the year.

I didn't give much thought to the term "winter solstice" until a few years ago when my eccentric cousin sent me a Winter Solstice card. I didn't know such greeting cards existed. Silly me. Her beliefs contrasted with mine would line up in a similar manner to the Winter and Summer Solstices. I shake my head, and realize that in recognizing our differences, I probably am in need of repentance. Sometimes, it's hard not to judge.

Over the years I have found myself starting to look forward to this midwinter event pretty much beginning the day when we switch back from Daylight Savings Time to standard time. I yearn for longer days, more light. But to get there, we have to get past the shortest day. Hence, today marks the beginning of longer days. Each day between now and June 21, will be just a little longer than the one before it. And on that day, I will revel in the light and try not to think that the days will then be getting shorter.

Several years ago, my husband Bob expressed the desire to be at one of his very favorite places on the Summer Solstice, June 21, to see how long it would be light there. We were living in Maryland at the time, but made the trek to northern Michigan, near Traverse City. Pyramid Point is now part of the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore (check out Picture #13 which is nearby) which overlooks beautiful blue Lake Michigan, but Bob and his family discovered Pyramid Point long before the federal government did, before there was even a clear path to the top of the dune. With our extended families, we have climbed up that sandy peak on many occasions over three decades. Now, not only is a parking lot provided at the road, but a restroom as well, and the path is graded and marked. Progress. Unfortunately. In the "olden days" we could count on enjoying the serene solitude of the place. Most times we visit now, we will meet others on the path and will have to share the view.














That night in 1997 was no different. We hiked up the trail through the beech and maple trees and arrived at thetop of Pyramid Point probably around 8 PM. It was a beautiful clear warm evening, and the sun was setting over Lake Michigan at the western end of the horizon. Near the other end, we could see a hint of the Manitou Islands, according to legend, representing the cubs of the mama bear (now the sand dunes) who had swam across Lake Michigan to escape a raging forest fire. In front of us the bluff dropped steeply to the water 450 feet below. We took pictures of the sinking sun and the deep blue water. Then we sat in the cooling sand, awaiting the demise of the sun on that longest day of the year. Other vacationers came and left while we kept vigil. One young couple was there to celebrate their anniversary; I took their picture, memorized their address, and mailed it to them later. The firey globe slowly sank behind the horizon as we watched. For a long time after the sun disappeared, its light glowed in the sky. It was almost 11 PM before we felt we could declare the end of day. Mission accomplished. Many times since then Bob and I have talked about the magic of that evening.



Today's winter solstice holds no such magic. This cold dark winter night finds me holed up in the house with a computer in front of me. The sun disappeared approximately 5 PM this evening. But the comforting thought is that each day will be just a little longer now, and we have June 21st to look forward to.

2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Hooray, Spring is on its way! That means the lawn swings are almost out. This year we must spend much time there, laughing like that one memorable day. I can't wait. We'll bring our J-Dawgs home to eat and swing. We'll sip lemonade. Maybe I'll even make virgin Margarettas. Mmmm. I can hardly wait. Thanks for the longer days head's up.

Jubilee on Earth said...

Great post -- living in Michigan, I LOVE the story of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Fantastic photos! I'm glad you have that memory. We were up in the U.P. during the 4th of July one year, and was amazed at how it stayed somewhat light until about 11:00pm, and never really got completely dark -- I guess because they're so far north.

Thanks for sharing!

~Maria