Sunday, December 16, 2007

Buns

I thought my friend, Lynne, would write about this on her blog, but she didn't, so I will.

On Saturday, I was at my daughter's house doing some bookwork for her and checked my email. Lynne had written to see if I wanted to go to J-Dawg's, one of our favorite spur-of-the-moment getaways. I emailed back to say that I would be awhile, and not to wait for me, but that I would call her when I got home.

Being the true, loyal, devoted friend that she is, she didn't go without me, and when I called her an hour later, she laughed and said she hadn't had lunch yet, and that she was definitely ready for a J-Dawg. That's one of the things I like about Lynne: she likes to go. At the drop of a hat.

"Pick you up in a few minutes," I told her.

"Ok, I'm ready."

My mouth was watering. Mmmmmm. I could almost smell the grilled Polish sausage with special sauce, sauerkraut, dill pickle, onions, and banana peppers. Oooooo, I couldn't wait! It was almost 2 and I hadn't had anything to eat since my Dee's cereal breakfast. I was hungry. And the thought of that juicy J-Dawg got the digestive juices flowing.

I picked Lynne up and we headed toward BYU. I mentioned to her that Sheri Dew was at the Deseret Book store at our local mall signing her latest book, God Wants a Powerful People, and that it was 50% off today only. It didn't take us long to put our carnal appetites on hold for more spiritual things, and we decided to take a short detour to the mall. To save time, I dropped Lynne off at the door and drove around the parking lot until she came out. There was no parking. None. I'm sure half of Utah was at that mall on Saturday. She got the books, and despite the long checkout line, was out of the mall in about 15 minutes, maybe less.

Then we headed back over to J-Dawg's, got up to the window and were told THEY WERE OUT OF BUNS!!!

Lynne asked, "Well, did you send someone out for some?"

No, they hadn't. Talk about disappointment!

I suddenly realized that we had missed the last bun by mere seconds. The guy ahead of us was getting his dawg, bun and all. Maybe if we hadn't gone to the mall, I thought. But I quickly checked that thought, knowing we had "chosen the better part".

After we gathered our wits about us after such a horrific shock, we decided to try a hot dog place Lynne had seen in Orem. The menu showed promise -- probably 30 different varieties of hotdog combinations (four basic kinds of individual dogs with all manner of toppings). The proprietor was a hoot -- calling out to us from behind the counter to greet us when we walked in and accommodating us as only a small business owner can. A bit of a character. The price for a hot dog and drink was about $5.00, a dollar and a quarter more than the same thing at J-Dawg. And the dogs weren't really so great.

But that's ok, I'm stashing a package of hot dog buns in my car for our next trip to J-Dawg, just to be sure.

Oh, for a Tony Packo hot dog...

Another story for another time.

3 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Funny, funny Pam. She Pam salivate. See Lynne drool. See sad little faces. See Lynne sadest of all because this has happened to her twice!

You forgot one of the funniest part of the whole experience. Kathie scolding you on the phone for eating hot dogs and then saying she ate 5 donuts! You nearly drove off the road, laughing. And her saying maybe J-Dawg's was a BYOB (Bring your own buns) type of a place.

Oh the unjustice of the whole experience.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

PS I ADORE the name on this post. You are a clever girl.

Aprilyn said...

Ok, you two were in OREM and didn't come see me?!? I've got to give you my address so you can come visit me sometime. What hot dog place did you go to? I live somewhere in the vicinity of KMart. In that general area anyway. So, next time you're out this way, you should come see me and I can give you guys a Christmas card photo and you can save me postage! :) Only don't come this morning because I'm taking Nathan to deliver the Angel tree gifts that his school bought. He is on the student council and I want him to be part of this. Ok, so my life is absolutely CRAZY but I really would love to meet you guys. My email address is: Natersmommy@comcast.net. If you email me, we can swap info if you want.