Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A (very brief) "Brody Story"


Brody is an avid reader. He consumes books. Last year he had a little more time for reading, but this year he is in a special program which heaps mountains of homework upon him. Last Thursday when I was with him on a short trip in the car, he brought a book along, A Long Way From Chicago, by Richard Peck. He had me read Chapter 2 while we traveled and we talked about it. A day or so after that, I mentioned it to my friend Lynne, and I was not really surprised to find that not only was she familiar with the book and the author, but she offered to lend me that one and another by the same man, so that I could further discuss them with Brody.

Another day or two later, I was chatting with Brody on the telephone, and I told him that Lynne was going to lend me the book to read.

"Did you get your copy at the library?" I asked him.

"No. I got it from my teacher. Our room at school is filled with books. It has more books than germs, Grandma."

And this grandma laughed.

Then I smiled a warm and loving smile for his teacher, whom I love more and more every time Brody shares a school experience with me.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Brody sounds like a gem, as does his teacher. I'll have to look up those books and suggest them to my grandkids.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

cute, cute kid and wonderfuly funny book. I'm still looking for my copies.