Monday, March 16, 2009

My Sweet Carter

My sweet Carter came for a visit today while his family went skiing with out-of-town friends. He arrived with a smile on his face, as he always does, and his "sweeper" in his hand. The first thing he did was suggest I get mine so that we could sweep together. I was so grateful -- my dinette was in bad need. He also swept the living room. (I think Carter sweeps daily with his mother.)



After we finished our indoor chores, we headed for the back yard. Carter knew where to find his favorite outside toys. From the shed, he dragged the small plastic golf bag with its clubs. He explained to his non-golfing Grandma that one was his driver and the other, his wedge. We hit a few balls around the yard when the little lightbulb that hangs over my head suddenly lit up. I wondered out loud if the mini golf at Cascade Golf Course was open yet this season. Carter's eyes widened. He loves mini golf! I cautioned, "We'll go IF they are open."
I called. They were. We went.

Grandma's no dummy. She didn't keep score. He might've won.


As he was getting out of the car back at our house after golfing, he softly said, "Thank you, Grandma," and gave me a hug. Be still, my heart. (When he raids the cookie jar, he gets me one, too.)

He found his fishing pole in the back shed....and quickly caught....a catfish!




A few minutes later, he wandered over to where I was raking, fishing pole in hand and asked, "Grandma, is Michigan open yet?"


The huge pine trees that border the deck in the corner of the yard with their cave-like underside have been the "secret garden" for Brody and Kennedy since they were very young. Four year old Brody (the age Carter is now), insisted it was his "Club". Kennedy came along and claimed it with him.



Carter wandered back there today....



"What does that say?" he asked.

"It says, 'Brody and Kennedy's Club'," I answered.

Thoughtful silence.

"Where's me, Grandma?"

"Oh, Carter, you weren't born yet when we made that sign."

"I wanna be there."

"Ok, we can do that."

He was as captivated by the spot named "Brody and Kennedy's Club" as his brother and sister were before him. Soon his imagination carried him away into the world of make-believe, and the "club" was magically transformed into a kitchen. He dragged the small plastic picnic table from the deck into his new abode. I placed a flower pot with last year's dead geranium onto the "kitchen table". Carter announced I could be the mom and he would be the brother. He would make dinner. We had "corn dogs".



He even did the dishes!

It was late and time for bed...



We spent two more "days" in this magical place and time, with dinner being "brother's" favorite part. We had "spaghetti" one night, and "macaroni and cheese" the other. "Brother" always did the dishes, and he went to "school" during the "day".

Suddenly Grandpa was home from work, and Carter quickly returned to reality. Grandpa is one of his favorite people. (Grandpa is tops with all the kids.) Carter showed Grandpa that Grandma had lost the sinker and other paraphrenalia from the end of his fishing line in the tree with a misplaced cast. Grandpa fixed it for him. And then took him to the playground at Edgemont. It was a great day for Grandma, with several unforgettable moments. Days spent with my sweet Carter are often like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam, what a day to remember! Such a sweet little boy.

Annette said...

All I can say is, MAGICAL.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, Blogger is in trouble with me. It didn't notify me of your new posts.

This is a wonderful post. It ought to go in the current "book." He is a sweet boy, feeding his grandma corn dogs--I hope you didn't choke on them and he probably went to bed right on time, I'm guessing. I guess you could have eaten catfish!? Urp.