Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time for a new journal




I love starting a new journal. It's kind of like starting all over. Like Anne Shirley's teacher told her (in Anne of Green Gables), "Today is a new day, with no mistakes in it. Yet." I'm sure I must certainly have misquoted that, but you get the idea -- a new journal without a single writeover or cross out. A book of blank pages waiting to be filled with all manner of good thoughts, a few struggles, and happy memories to be savored some quiet rainy day in the future.

This journal is different than any other I've had.



Each page has a few lines to fill in for each of the following thoughts:

Something that touched my heart
Something good
Something funny
Lesson learned
Challenges

Those are good things to be anticipating each day, knowing I will need to fill in the blank. And then the rest of that page and the one facing is for regular journaling.

This journal has a pen attached. So much better than closing the journal with the pen inside, or having to rummage through the drawer in my nightstand to find one. But I think I'll trade this pen for a green pen. Some years I color coordinate the ink with the journal. I think this will be one of those years.

I still have a few pages -- maybe 3 or 4 -- left in my old journal. But I'm really tempted to start this new one tomorrow. Don't you think it's best to start a new journal on the first day of a month, rather than on the third or fourth? Me, too.

4 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I love the idea of all the "somethings." Especially the "something funny" and the "lesson learned," but you might not be able to answer that part for a week. That's how long it takes me to think back and say, "I should have known!"

The challenges? They could go on for pages sometimes, huh? Let's hope the funnies go on for pages instead.

Hope you don't get more puny as the night progresses.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

PS The journal is really pretty--just right for spring. Wait. Did I say spring?

Annette said...

I love that journal with the questions in it. What kind is it?
It is so fun that you have that journal writing challenge with your grandaughter. Everything you do is lovely.

Pam's Place said...

Thank you for your kind words, Annette. The brand name on the journal is Legacy and I found it at Quilted Bear in Provo. I think I'm going back for another one.

Lynne, I think you're right, some of those are going to be hard to fill in, but it helps to frame my focus for each day.