Saturday, February 28, 2009

Now you see him....

Now you don't.


A month or so ago, I executed a spider who was wandering around in my sink. Maybe "executed" is too strong a word. I washed him down the drain. Yikes! I felt horrible afterward, even though (maybe because)it wasn't an accident that washed him away. It was my conscience reminding me that all life is sacred, and that spider was doing me no harm.

A few days ago, grandson Carter told me that he doesn't like spiders and bees. "They are mean," he told me. We had a discussion about these little critters (usually) being harmless unless we get in their way and frighten them. I told him that the bees make honey for us, and since Carter loves honey on his peanut butter sandwiches, I got his attention. I wasn't quite so convincing about the spiders.

Then, yesterday, standing at my kitchen sink, I saw this spider




He looks exactly like the one I washed away, and either that one was an Olympic swimmer, or he has surviving relatives. To tell you the truth, I was pleased to see him. I watched him for a minute, then explained that I don't like spiders in my kitchen and that I really wished he would just move along. I left him alone to think about that while I pursued a task in another room.

When I returned a short time later




He probably just came for a little drink of water. I suspect we will meet again. And that's ok with me.

8 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oooooooh, I think our next J-Dawg will have to be eaten on the lawn swings. I catch spiders in a tissue and take them outside. I figure they have several hours to find a warm non-freeze-their-guts-out place. You are tooooo kind.

Pam's Place said...

Are we taking the spiders out to lunch with us on the lawn swings, or did I miss something?

Pam's Place said...

P.S. It's particularly nice of you to wrap them up snugly in nice warm tissue to take them outside.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

No, we are NOT taking spiders to lunch but we come back to your house to eat and now I know there is a hairy-eight-legged friend, wandering around. Eek!

Pam's Place said...

I think we're ok. For one thing, this spider prefers the kitchen sink -- it's the only place I've ever seen him. And actually I think it's a her because it doesn't have hairy legs, but is cleanshaven. Bound to be a kinder, gentler arachnid, being of the feminine persuasion, don't you think?

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

She doesn't have hairy legs? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How do you know? I couldn't get that close. A kinder, gentler arachid? Girl, you must go to bed! You are sleep deprived and have gone around the bend. Seriously. Around. The. Bend. The men in white coats have been dispached. Run like the wind.

Annette said...

I wonder if that spider goes through the drains from your house to mine? I'm not so nice to it as you are.

Pam's Place said...

The truth is, my niceness is largely dependent upon appearance -- if the spider is large, black and hairy, he doesn't fare so well.
This one was looking pretty harmless.