Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Project

A week ago we ordered six cubic yards of dirt, something we've needed but have been putting off for a few years. When we stretched our garden this year, we couldn't put it off any longer. When the man from Mountain Topsoil delivered it last Thursday , I told him, "I've never thought about dirt being pretty, but this is some doggone good looking dirt!" It was sifted and enriched with peat, smooth and dark.

Bob is definitely stronger and more focused than I am. I helped -- hauled many loads to the back yard, but I'm sure that for each wheelbarrowful of dirt I moved, Bob moved fifteen.



The first order of business was to fill the added garden space with good dirt. Once that was accomplished, the areas around the deck screamed for their share. Bob moved some plants and extended some sprinklers.





We had help. A supervisor. Named Daisy. She refused to lift a paw in the manual labor


...but she watched to make sure no one else slacked.




Not only did she supervise, she inspected...





...from every angle.



Occasionally, she followed Bob to the dirt pile out front and then back to the worksite. A good supervisor oversees all of the work. (Besides, she's a nosy cat.)



Notice the shape of the garden. Hint: we live in Utah.



Here's the deck area, after dirt, before flowers.


Good thing Daisy didn't see this. She'd have been on him in no time. Literally.




This project took several days. On Monday, we hired some help.





He worked cheap, and made himself at home.





And we had new supervisors, too.



The dirt pile in the street in front of the house is gone, and Bob is glad. The Advil helped to ease his pain, and mine. I've planted impatiens around the deck, and alyssum and petunias in the back along the fence. When they will show up without zooming, I'll post pictures.

I said to Bob, now we need some mulch. I won't tell you what he said.

4 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Does Daisy work by the hour? I see your cheap laboror has his grandpa all figured out. And, looking at the cookie jar, his grandma too.

The garden and all the surounding planter beds look fabulous.

Annette said...

No wonder Bob said he was tired last Saturday at the picnic! Could I hire your cat for when I work in my yard? Your yard looks beautiful.

Pam's Place said...

Annette, you may find Daisy moseying about in your yard from time to time. She's awfully nosy, and your yard isn't that far away.

She's really not much good for anything but supervising and inspecting. She does that very well. And she "talks", too.

Thank both of you for your kind comments on the yard. Now if we could just afford to replace that fence!

Anonymous said...

Your yard's lookin' good, Pam. I'm looking forward to pictures of everything planted and blooming profusely.