Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009



It came and went quietly here. We remembered why we observe this holiday, and are grateful for all who have given the "last full measure" of devotion, and those who have served and returned.

Memorial Day always conjures up memories of family cookouts in Grandma & Pa Redd's back yard on Victoria Place in Toledo. There was never a Memorial Day, July 4th, or any other national holiday that Grandma, and also Aunty Mary, didn't have their flags proudly hanging from their front porches. Why didn't we take more pictures of those special times with our family? The pictures (in my mind) will go with me when I go -- I will have to create mind pictures for my grandchildren to carry with them when I am gone.

The other memory that Memorial Day (or Decoration Day as it was called) brings to mind was Grandma and Aunty Mary making the rounds of the cemeteries in the Toledo area where family members and friends are laid to rest. Grandma was a house mother to a fraternity at the University of Toledo, and she not only saw many, many young men go off to war, but she corresponded with them regularly. Many didn't return; those who did visited her until her death at the age of 88. They never forgot, either.

Cemetery visiting is becoming a thing of the past. I don't think the younger generation will maintain this tradition very well. Part of the reason, in my family at least, is that I haven't taken my daughter with me when I have gone. My mother and father never took me, either, but I have been to the cemeteries with Grandma and Aunty Mary several times. Pleasant memories. Comforting.

This year Bob and I stayed home. We had friends join us for an informal backyard cookout. Low key. Pleasant. I heard or read many times this year that Memorial Day is not about cookouts. We had one anyway, and I don't think it was disrespectful. I remembered. And do, many, many more days throughout the year. And that is what this holiday is about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Memorial Day is a PERFECT day for a picnic. Your grandchildren see your flags displayed and you have a wonderful opportunity to tell them why. Seeing a flag flying from nearly every home on Memorial Day is a wonderful memory. It should be that way still.

Pam's Place said...

I was going to mention that when I went to the store yesterday morning, I counted the number of American flags I saw between store and our house (about 4 miles). The count was 92.

Annette said...

I, too, have wonderful memories of memorial day. I've heard you talk of your Grandma and your Auntie Mary many times and think that your gift of thoughtful remembrance must come from them. There is something comforting in following traditions and remembering why we are doing it.