Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Is everybody out shopping today?

I just got home. Fortunately I only have to fix a fruit salad for Thanksgiving, but I had to go to the market to get some of the ingredients. Normally I would probaby have gone to Day's, our little neighborhood market, or Harmon's up on 8th North because those are the closest grocery stores. Today was different.

A few weeks ago, a lady doing a survey called me to ask about my shopping experience at Macey's (grocery store) in Provo. Well, I had to be honest with her. I really don't shop there very often, but I'd be glad to answer the questions for what limited experience I had had there. I don't remember any of the questions. She was cordial but businesslike, and when the survey was finished, I hung up and immediately dismissed it from my mind.

A few evenings ago I was sitting here at my computer minding my own business when the phone rang. It was a guy named Steve who identified himself as the manager of the Macey's grocery store in Provo. He was just calling to say hi and to follow up on the survey. I told him that in general I love Macey's, but usually do my shopping at the one up on 8th North or the one in Pleasant Grove because what little shopping I do, I do on the fly (between our house and work) and his store is in the wrong direction. I extolled the virtues of Macey's in general to him. He was really a nice guy and in the end, suggested that when I shop at Macey's I should be sure to stop in and see the store manager (at whichever store I'm at) because they enjoy hearing from customers.

So today when I needed more than just a few items, I started out for the store. Because of the phone call made to me to just say hi and follow up on a simple survey, I decided to go to the Macey's in Provo -- a little further than my usual stores and definitely a higher traffic area .The first thing I did was go to the Service Desk and ask for the Store Manager. The girl paged him with a simple "Steve to the Service Desk. Steve to the Service Desk, please." A very few moments later I see a man approaching from the other end of the store. He is looking right at me, and has a big smile on his face. Remember, I hadn't told the girl at the Service Desk why I wanted to see him, and all she did was page him on the overhead speaker.

As he approached, I said, "I know you must be Steve because of your smile." I told him my name and that I was shopping in his store today because he took the time to call me. We had a brief chat, with him broadcasting a beaming smile the entire time. Then I went on to do my shopping. I was about halfway through when Steve approached me in the Dairy aisle with a young man by his side.

"This is Ryan," he said. "He's in charge of our fresh foods and meats, and if you need help in those areas, he's the one to look for. Of course, any of our people can help you, but I wanted you to meet Ryan." Another smiling guy. Genuine. He shook my hand and nodded. A few more words, then they were off.

Wow, is that service or what? You can bet that not only will I go back there, but I will tell all my friends about Steve & Ryan and the Macey's in Provo. They made my day! Service like this will make them the #1 Macey's store in Utah. And my #1 place to shop.

4 comments:

Kathie said...

I love this story, Pam. I see you'd shared it before I even suggested that you do.

Jubilee on Earth said...

That is a neat story! I love it. We don't get service like that here in Michigan. Anyway, just wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Maria
www.jubileeonearth.com

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Hah! Their final word should have been, "Here, have this free turkey."

Macey's has got to be the most populated, shopping frenzy, I-just-brought-my-six-kids-with-me-to-buy-400-items store in the Universe. Okay, so they have great deals. And now, it seems they have great Steve's and Ryan's. Does the perfection never stop?

PS Happy late Thanksgiving. I was stuck out of town without your email address!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Thank you for being the kind of person who actually asked to see the manager. Thank you for being the kind of person who takes personal responsibility for her friends. Thank you for being diligent in your responsibilities, both in life and in your friend's life. Thank you for being you. My friend.