Monday, November 2, 2009

There's something about an empty space

on a pedigree chart or family group sheet that begs filling in.

My cousin, actually my second cousin, sent me an email and asked if I would send her the information I have on her branch of my family -- our shared ancestry -- for a cookbook she is making for her granddaughters. A few years ago I had put the information on a Baker Family website on MyFamily.com (which I highly recommend, by the way). After trying to get other distant cousins, all of whom I know personally, involved in the website and sharing pictures and family memories, I found myself the main (actually, pretty much the only) active participant, and I didn't renew the site and thus it is inaccessible.

MaryMargaret was my most enthusiastic follower, and she has a robust interest in our shared folk. So when I got her email, I was excited. I went to my electronic records and created the pedigree chart to print out for her. Uh, oh. There are lots of empty spaces. Hmmm. I'm sure I had more on this family here -- I thought I had the marriage date of Uncle Herb and Aunt Sadie -- I think I remember seeing it somewhere.... Places of birth for all of my grandfather's brothers surely was Oregon Township, Lucas County, Ohio. But the blanks seduce me with their barreness. I wouldn't dream of filling in a blank on a pedigree chart or family group record without the official piece of paper that proves that the names, places and dates are more than a figment of my imagination. But it sure bothers me that they are empty. Especially when I keep thinking that somewhere in one of these stacks of paper are the very documents that would allow me a clear conscience to fill them in.

I've emailed the pedigree sheets and to MaryMargaret and asked her to help me fill in the blanks for her immediate family. But I think I'm going to have to do some digging.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time you added to your blog, Ms. Pamela.

Anonymous said...

Pam is such a dear.
Little does she know that I have lost my kneffles too. I'm so glad that she keeps her 'stuff' close by so she can help out the hapless kneffle losers like myself.
Now that she has found a blank (omg) it will hard to concentrate on much else for a day or two. Somewhere her mind is clicking with mine in the realization that if the blank don't get filled in now. It will only be a bigger problem later. (We should have been doctors.)
When I lost my kneffles, I went into a tailspin. Pam's dad wanted a good kneffle and I found some beautiful ones. But this year when I wanted my spatzels to meet his kneffles.. well those horrible net people removed that site to somewhere in the kitchen of time and I had to find new kneffles (I slmost typed knew kneffles). I finally got a good kneffle spatzel marriage for my "cookbook of the realm" and am enjoying noodle life to the fullest. (yum)
Pam can be very expressive when she gets the feeling of sharing something good. I think she was raised well and of course our families are the warmest most expressive, talented, and generally inspiring vikings of emotion that can be found on the planet earth.
We are the people who would sit by the fire in the cave and tell the young ones about the worst winter we ever had and how we had to trek 20 miles in the snow to the mammoth carcass for dinner. Yes we're special. I only painted a mural on the wall of my kitchen once but it was sooo rewarding. Now I must limit my scratchings to a canvass. Progress and civilization keep me in line.
I enjoyed my visit to Pam's site. Its good to see her work at something she loves and I'll make sure I drop back occasionally to read up on 'cousin life'.
((hugs)) to Pam, a very sweet piece of the puzzle of life.
MaryM

Annette said...

I've been thinking a lot about geneology lately. You've inspired me!