Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Adele


A few years ago, Adele called me to say that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Then quickly she reassured me, "Don't worry, Pam. I'm going to beat this. My grandmother did, and I can, too." That was Adele: positive and upbeat. Always.

We met when Adele, her husband, George, and son, Tom, moved into the Gaitherburg Ward in the 1980's. I don't remember that we worked together in any organization that led to our long friendship. I think she just drew people to her with her warmth and kindness. She was easy to know, and easier to love.

Once in a casual conversation about something, she mentioned having chosen a doctor when her family lived in Florida because his last name was Redd, her grandmother's maiden name. Her mentioning that was one of those "little miracles" that often happens when one is interested in genealogy. I told her my maiden name is Redd, and we immediately set about to find the connection -- the connection we have believed from that day exists, although we have not been able to document it.

Adele was married to George Swift for almost 50 years. They have three sons, Herb, Tom and Jon, and seven grandchildren, all of whom have been the loves of her life. She was so proud of all of her family. She was a gifted homemaker, taught Home Economics in several cities, and she loved to cook and sew.

The quality I most admired in Adele, and the one I will always remember, is her ability not to just remember people, but to remember everything about them. She could find connections between people whom she knew in different parts of the country. It was an amazing gift. She truly loved everyone she knew and wanted them all to know and love each other. She was a gatherer.

I have lost a dear friend. She passed away on September 20, but I know she never gave up.

4 comments:

Kathie said...

What a nice testimonial about your friend Adele, Pam. I wish I'd known her.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

We all should be like this woman. She has left a great legacy.

Jubilee on Earth said...

Thank you for leaving me a comment on my blog. I am so sorry for your loss. It's tough to lose someone, but it's particularly tough to lose someone who was so determined to live and win. My heart and prayers are with you.

~Maria
http://michigal.blogspot.com/

On The Edge said...

Beautiful sentiments Pam. You really caught the spirit of this amazing woman in your words.

Thanks for stopping by my new blog too. I enjoyed your words of encouragment.